442 Views

Caring for dwarf fruit trees can sound like a whole new concept if you’re a beginner in gardening or you’re simply used to growing standard-sized fruit trees in the past.

However, you can rest assured that both fruit tree types don’t stray far from each other. You just need to know three basics, and you’re all set to care, grow, and harvest from your dwarf trees.

For an overview, here is a short list of the things that you need to acquaint yourself with:

  1. Dwarf fruit trees require minimal care compared to standard-sized ones.

Unlike standard-sized trees, dwarf fruit trees won’t need tediously expensive fertilizers and equipment to ensure growth.

It doesn’t need excessive pruning since minimal maintenance will already go a long way, even if you’re targeting a certain fruit shape and size. Not to mention, there will also be no need to use a ladder just to prune your tree.For protection, a simple well-installed net will do.

  1. Dwarf fruit trees are comparatively short-lived.

If you buy fruit trees, you have to be well aware of how long their average lifespan is. That said, it’s important to remember that dwarf fruit trees are short-lived. They can only last for 20 years at most, which is definitely lower than the usual 50 to 60 years of standard-sized trees. You may need to turn to the latter if you want a long-term crop.

  1. Staking is a must to ensure the proper growth of dwarf fruit trees.

There is zero chance for a dwarf fruit tree to withstand wind if you don’t permanently stake it. Since it doesn’t grow extremely high, staking is necessary to guarantee good growth and performance.

To add, make sure that you use treated woods for your staking setup to avoid rotting and possibly dragging your tree’s roots with it.

Summary

You will definitely feel a bit new to your tasks once you start. Give it a little time, especially if you have been interacting with standard fruit trees all your life.

If you have mastered the basics that we discussed above, then you’ll be glad to know that there’s already an 80% chance of your crops growing fruitfully. The other 20% will lie on factors like the starting tree’s quality, weather conditions, and likes.

Speaking of, there’s this shop called CRJ Fruit Trees that you should definitely look into if you plan to buy dwarf fruit trees. They are known for supplying high-quality apple trees, plum trees, mulberry trees, and peach trees.